Saturday, December 27, 2008

from the line cook

I had to share this post from Richie who writes the line cook blog. http://linecook415.blogspot.com/2008/12/pastry-days.html

I especially liked this part:
Pastry is one aspect of cooking that most hot line cooks will tell you strikes fear deep in their hearts. It's precise and difficult and completely unforgiving. It means early mornings, little to no help on prep, and a constant fight for space on the stoves. It also means a strong lesson in efficency, humility, and cooking delicately. After working pastry your approach to everything from mise to plating changes. Your palate adjusts to appreciate not just taste, but texture. And in the end you are a stronger, more competant and confident cook...as long as you've been minding the salt.

Can you tell I do pastry? I love pastry, but I'm one of those who obsesses over the detail.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awww.. just know that those of us who love eating them appreciate your hard work :)